Driving to Mexico? CLICK HERE

Auto Insurance: Explanation of Coverages


This is the Liability Section of the Policy. This coverage is required by State Law and pays for Bodily Injury or Property Damage that you may be liable for. The limits are expressed as per person and per accident. For example, common limits you may have are $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident and $100,000 for Property Damage.

Indeed, this pays for the other party’s damages but in reality, it protects you from having your cash and/or assets taken. It is your Firewall of protection.


This section protects you in the event that the other motorist is at fault and does not have any liability coverage or does not have sufficient coverage to pay for your injuries. This is Bodily Injury only. It does not cover your vehicle or property.


This is 1st and 3rd party coverage for minor injuries that happen in or around your vehicle. This means the coverage applies to you or your
immediate family as well as a 3rd party. Some examples would include: If you opened your car door and a pedestrian or cyclist was struck by it. Or a child that gets their hand caught in the door. We have found also that it pays for Ambulance Fees that may be assessed to you in the event of an accident.

(Fee for Service Fire Departments such as Rural Metro can charge you for an ambulance ride. Fee for Service means that 1st Responder Services are purchased separately from your Property Taxes in certain localities – this means they can charge people who have an accident in their geographical service area.)

PHYSICAL DAMAGE PROTECTION – Comprehensive and Collision:

Collision: Generally speaking, this protects your vehicle in the event you hit someone or something or your vehicle is hit while it is parked. There will be a deductible associated with this.

Comprehensive: This is coverage for non-Collision events such as theft of your vehicle or theft of things that belong to your vehicle. Also Acts of Nature such as wind, hail, fire, lighting etc. It also applies to an event where you strike an animal. There is a deductible associated with this coverage as well. Glass is covered under Comprehensive also but there is an option to take “Full Glass” Coverage which will waive any deductible.

Substitute Transportation (Rental Car): In the event your vehicle is damaged in an accident this will provide you with a vehicle to drive while your vehicle is being repaired. The coverage is provided weather you are at-fault or not at-fault. It does not apply to mechanical breakdown.

Roadside Assistance: This typically covers simple roadside assistance type events such as: flat tire, run out of gas, lock your keys in the car, jump start (dead battery) and towing. Various amounts of coverage are available.

Share This Post!